.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

peter_c_harris

Middle Ages [it's all mine now?]

I was bought up in a small township in Eltham (Leslie Townsend Hope's also) in South London, now live in The-Garden-of-Kent aerial during the fifties Elvis was beginning to make a noise and ....in contempt of court
atom

Saturday, November 29, 2003

Sledgehammer
Changed the nature of the Pop-Video for ever...
which was a lot of matchbox animationtronics -
The Rolling Stone Review for the album "So"


On "Big Time," which with "Sledgehammer" provides comic relief to balance the LP's moody ruminations, Gabriel lays down one of the funniest brags in pop history. Everything about the song is larger than life, larger than myth even. It possesses the cocky self-assurance of the hick on his way to the big city where he's gonna be somebody:

The place where I come from is a small town

They think so small

They use small words –

But not me

I'm smarter than that

I worked it out

I've been stretching my mouth

To let those big words come right out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home